Monday, November 19, 2012

Baked, fried, or mashed?

Thanksgiving is Thursday! Who is ready for some mashed potatoes? What is better than a heaping mound of mashed potatoes with better melting a the top and smothered in gravy? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

We need more holidays with an emphasis on mashed potatoes. Maybe we'd be a happier people.  I could live without the Turkey though.  gag.
 

Speaking of food, Andrew wanted a meal from his childhood this weekend so his father made sweet and sour meatballs. They were so good, but I don't cook with ground beef so I found a turkey recipe that looks close enough:

1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 c. fresh bread crumbs
1/4 c. onion, minced
1 egg, beaten
1/8 tsp. salt
Combine turkey, bread crumbs, onion, egg and salt. Shape into 1-inch balls. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
SWEET & SOUR SAUCE:
3/4 c. pineapple juice
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
4 tsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. soy sauce
Combine pineapple juice, sugar, cider vinegar, cornstarch and soy sauce. Mix well. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Makes 1 cup of sauce to use with meatballs. (Rice is an excellent accompaniment.)
 
I think I'll try it next week after Thanksgiving.   I will put pineapples in to the sauce as well - should be yummy!  I can't decide whether to serve it with egg noodles (whole wheat, natch) or rice....   I read an article recently about the insane amount of arsenic in rice,  so the dilemma becomes do I want to feed my family arsenic or simple carbohydrates?  decisions decisions.... 
 

No comments: