Saturday, August 25, 2012

looking ahead

I need to eat more leafy green vegetables.   Why?  Because I have lattice degeneration,  which could lead to some bad things down the road (or not,  no one really knows).   Anyway,  I need to take good care of my eyes. According to people who study such things, green leafy vegetables are the way to go.   WebMD says: 

Get the Best Nutrients for Good Vision

Protecting your eyes starts with the food on your plate. Studies have shown that nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E may help ward off age-related vision problems such as macular degeneration and cataracts. Regularly eating these foods can help lead to good eye health:
  • Green, leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, and collards
  • Salmon, tuna, and other oily fish
  • Eggs, nuts, beans and other non-meat protein sources
  • Oranges and other citrus fruits or juices

Ergo and henceforth,  I need to uptick my kale consumption (also, I need to start taking Omega 3 fish oil since salmon makes me gag).  I've been looking for a kale soup recipe since it's almost fall and really,  when is there a better time to make soup than fall?

My first inclination was to see what my BFF Ree Drummond has to say about kale soup.   And wow,  does it look good.   Maybe I could eat it if I spent my time riding horses around a working cattle ranch,  but I don't and I ideally want a less calorie and fat ridden recipe.   Making her recipes healthier takes too much thought,  so I went to Skinny Taste instead and found this recipe.  It looks pretty easy,  especially since I can make the "sausage" ahead of time.   So I will try it in a few weeks and see how much we like it!  


No comments: