Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Happy Leap Day!

or Happy almost Leap Day.  

Tomorrow I work for free.   Why is that?  Because I make a certain amount per year,  and that year is based on 365 days (or 525,600 minutes.  How do you measure a year in the life?  HA!  Just try to get the Rent theme song out of your head now!)  2012 has an extra day in it,  and my annual salary is not increasing for that extra day.  Ergo,  I'm working for free tomorrow.   Only hourly or per diem employers are adequately paid for tomorrow.

No one seems to agree with that opinion,  but that's okay.  I know I'm right.  Maybe in my free working day tomorrow I will just sit in my fancy office chair and spin around for 8 hours.   I'll refuse to work unless they hand me an additional check.  Or give me an additional vacation day.   Or I could get fired, not really sure how that would turn out...




In three days when you break out into this song while stopped at a red light,  think kindly of me. 

Do you want to learn some fun facts about Leap Years?  Aside from the fact that we're all working for free tomorrow, that is.
From timeanddate.com:
In the Gregorian calendar 3 criteria must be met to be a leap year:
  • The year is evenly divisible by 4;
  • If the year can be evenly divided by 100, it is NOT a leap year, unless;
  • The year is also evenly divisible by 400. Then it is a leap year.
This means that 2000 and 2400 are leap years, while 1800, 1900, 2100,  2200, 2300, and 2500 are NOT leap years.
The year 2000 was somewhat special as it was the first instance when the third criterion was used in most parts of the world since the transition from the Julian to the Gregorian Calendar. 

Now you are well versed in why I will be spinning around in my chair tomorrow trying to beat Bree in Scramble with Friends for 8 hours tomorrow instead of working and why the year 2100 is NOT a leap year.  YOUR WELCOME.

No comments: