Saturday, August 06, 2011

WOOOO

I am blogging from the laptop! The power cord has been obtained! The laptop is fully operational! (okay, admit it, who pictures Admiral Ackbar when you see or hear the phrase 'fully operational'? no? just me? righty-o)

For awhile I have been contemplating giving Baby Girl a haircut. As you may remember, girlfriend was born with a full head of hair. Long hair. Oddly long hair for a newborn. She was actually born in a little bit of distress and she was whisked away the second she was born. I didn't get to hold her right away because she was being poked and prodded by the doctors, but I did see her as she was quickly taken away and literally the first thing I noticed about her was her oddly full head of hair.

See what I mean? This is her on the day she was born. When have you see that much hair on a newborn? (and no, i was not choking her, that's actually how you burp a newborn, it just looks really really weird in this picture)

To make a long story short, she has had long hair since the day she was born. Around 7 months I had to give her a quick trim because it had grown out oddly, and that's all the hair that has been cut off her head in 25.5 months. Imagine if you hadn't had a haircut in over 2 years. It was getting bad.

Neither Andrew nor my parents wanted me to cut her hair. They all acted like I was going to physically harm her if I dared cut off her baby curls. No one wanted to admit her hair (in addition to being ridiculously long) was uneven and scraggly. All anyone sees are her gorgeous baby curls.

I love the curls too, but I can't let her become Repunsel. Something had to be done. So I picked up some cutting shears at Wallyworld today and after bathtime, when he hair was combed out, I attacked.

okay, "attacked" may not be the right word. "Barely trimmed" may be a better way to describe it. Because the hair was uneven, I had to cut more in some places than others, and I had to cut about an inch off in some places. But she looks like a normal kid now.

A normal 2 year old with hair halfway down her back...

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Don't besmirch my name; i had no problem with a trim - i just misunderstood and thought we were talking about a cut. Big difference.