Monday, February 21, 2011

sicky sue

Baby Girl has been pretty healthy in her first 19 months of life. When all is said and done, she has had 2 double ear infections, one regular ear infection, and three colds. Considering she has been in daycare since she has 13 weeks old, I think that's a pretty good track record. Or, at least it WAS a good track record, until last night.

Last night the dreaded 24 hour stomach bug entered our house. I woke up at 12:30 hearing some strange sounds from Baby Girls room. I stumbled blindly in without glasses or contacts and the second I passed through her door, I knew. You can't mistake that smell.

Oh. My. God.

That's what was running through my head. I don't know how to clean up vomit. I've never cleaned it up. I've only been on the puking side of this, never the cleaning up the puke side of this. I wanted to call my mother and crawl into a hole. But somehow I didn't think she'd appreciate that call, so I plunged forward.

I honestly had NO idea where to begin. I picked up my poor sick little baby (er, toddler) and called Andrew, who then stumbled in and had pretty much the same reaction I did. WTF do we do?

I'll spare you the details of what we did. Suffice to say, we made some mistakes along the way.

She puked in our bed. She puked in her bed. She projectile vomited onto me. We went through 3 sheets, we all had at least two costume changes, and random towels and face cloths were all over the place. The three of us were a collective hot mess.

I slept with Baby Girl on the couch (read: BG snored, I was afraid of dropping her off the side so I didn't sleep a wink) until 3:30. Andrew took over and put her back down in her crib around 4.

We all showered and/or bathed this morning, and I ended up doing 5 loads of laundry at my parents' house. 2 loads were from last night. First time parents, what??

I would like to say that the next time BG gets a bug I'll know what to do. But in reality, I'm still a little shell shocked from last night and I still think calling my mother in the middle of the night is the best answer. It always worked for me when I was a kid...

No comments: