Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

In honor of Memorial Day, go the the Pioneer Woman's blog, and click on her Photography tab. This week's challenge was "homecoming" and there are incredible (some happy; some heart wrenching) pictures of soldiers coming home. If you don't at least tear up, there is something seriously wrong with you.

What a weekend. We had much better weather than last year, so that was exciting. I actually made it to the beach yesterday! Of course working mother guilt set in after an hour and even though my baby was napping when I left, I immediately felt like a terrible person for not spending my non-work time with my child. But I don't need more than an hour in the sun anyway, my pale skin was not meant for long trips to the beach.

We took the baby on the boat for the first time on Sunday. At first it was going fine. She doesn't love the life jacket - and I can't really blame her, it's all up in her face and there's no way to fix it. But she was doing well and looking at everything around her. About 25 minutes into the trip, she lost it. She went from 0 to 100 in about .01 seconds. Huge temper tantrum and I couldn't get her to calm down without taking the life jacket off. Which I wasn't going to do while on the boat so all I could do was hold her and try to get to to calm down. We still had to go relatively slow on the way in, as we had another baby and a pregnant woman on board. But we made it, she calmed down after I got the life jacket off her and gave her a bottle. We'll try again in a few weeks. I don't think she will make it to the Vineyard this summer unless we go on the Island Queen, but she's still really young. I was happy she made it as long as she did. Andrew will be more than happy to stay home with her though, so I'm sure I will make it.

You can see how happy she was:

No comments: