Thursday, April 12, 2012

Time to get real

When I got pregnant I vowed I would not gain the 40ish pounds I gained with my first pregnancy.   I was really good about it for the first trimester.   Then I got not so good and ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted to eat it and gained more than I was supposed to.

A woman with my height and build should gain between 20 and 25 pounds in her entire pregnancy.   I had my 28 week appointment today (though I am only 27 weeks!) and I've already gained 20.    I'm in the last trimester and women will typically gain a pound a week during that last trimester.   So I'm on track to gain a total of 33 pounds,  which is not really what I was hoping for.   It's too late to only gain 20 pounds like I should,  but I'm really going to try to nly gain what I need so we both stay healthy.  It took me 2 years to finally lose all 40 pounds from my last pregnancy and I don't want to wait 2 more years before I'm comfortable in my own skin again. 

I guess I should stop eating all the Easter candy.  

I have another appointment in 14 days, and I'm really hoping to only have gained two pounds.   If it was healthy for us I'd strive to maintain my weight and not gain anything, but I'm not sure how realistic that expectation is at this point in my pregnancy.


No comments: