Sunday, August 22, 2010

That time of year

All across the country, college freshman are moving into their ridiculously tiny dorm rooms that they have to share with complete strangers. Luckily for them it's 2010 and not 1999. My computer took up my entire desk and took 3 grown men to move around. Seriously. That thing was huge. Theses kids just slip their new sleep laptops into a whatever laptop bag is en vogue these days and call it a day. They don't know what it's like to lug huge computers up 3 flights of stairs, their facebook is not made out of paper, they don't have to deal with the extremely expensive long distance plans in the dorm rooms, and in 4 years they will be able to put their entire senior thesis on a flash drive, not 45 different floppy disks. Also - smart phones exist in their world.

Okay, so I'm secretly jealous of them, in that their technology is so much cooler than mine was. Though I was pretty cool in fall of 1999.

I cannot imagine what incoming college freshman will have in another 11 years!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Also, they have wireless Internet-I remember having to get the network card to make sure my desktop could connect in the dorm room... Man we're old.