Sunday, August 29, 2010

catching up

I'm trying a new recipe right now... crockpot buffalo chicken lasagna. It looks really really good - we'll find out tomorrow. It is NOT low calorie, I'm just warning you right now. But if it's good, I'm going to tweak it the best I can to lower the calorie count.

Here's the recipe - just remember I haven't tried it yet, it's currently crockpotting away.

Ingredients
3 already cooked chicken breasts, cubed
jar of prepared pasta sauce (20 ounces)
1 cup buffalo wing sauce
tub of ricotta cheese (15 ounces)
2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar and mozzarella blend)
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/2 cup of water
uncooked lasagna noodles

Use at least a 5 qt crockpot, or cut back on the amount of ingredients
In a large glass bowl, combine the chicken, pasta sauce, and wing sauce
Ladle a big spoonful of the sauce blend into the bottom of the crockpot
Cover with a layer of lasagna noodles. You will have to break the noodles to get a good fit
Add a smear of ricotta cheese to the top of the noodles
Sprinkle a handful of shredded cheese on top

Repeat the layers until you run out of ingredients

Add the blue cheese crumbles to the top
Put the 1/2 c of water into the empty pasta jar and shake
Pour the water over the entire lasagna.

Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hrs or on high for 4-5

sounds fabulous, right? I did buy low fat ricotta cheese... but I used full fat shredded cheese and I don't even think low fat blue cheese exists, does it?

Okay enough on the recipe which may or may not even taste good.

Andrew is currently baby proofing the cabinet under the sink where we keep cleaning supplies - you know, poison? We probably should have done that about 4 months ago, but hey, better late than never, right? Parents of the year. Right here.

Speaking of the baby, I took her to the beach this morning. She has come a long way this summer. I put her right down on a towel, she immediately scooted over to the sand and began to shovel handfuls into her mouth. Which is disgusting and I can't understand why she keeps doing it, but it's much better than being petrified of it. And she likes the water too - basically any way she can splash me in the face, she's happy. She splashes me in the pool, in the ocean, in the bath... however she can. I'm not taking it personally... I will splash her in the face nonstop in about 4 years. HA! (what was that about parents of the year?)

And finally, if you need mindless entertainment, pick up the Queen of Babble series by Meg Cabot. I've only read the first two but they're classic chick lit and amusing enough. I'm ordering the 3rd from the library (I make I started Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet today, on the recommendation of my mother. It's been good so far - heavier than I've been reading, but I guess it's time to put the beach reads away :(

No comments: