Friday, July 03, 2009

Friday Confessions

bear with me on typos today... I'm typing one handed, as there is a squirmy 11 day old in my arm.

Today's confession is semi serious. All throughout my pregnancy I was schooled by various medical professionals about the dangers and warning signs of post partum depression. I was not at high risk for it, but I dutifully learned all about it and what to do if I was afflicted. What I completely glossed over and ignored were the "baby blues". Probably because it's a stupid name. Anyway I decided it wasn't going to affect me, and a la Tom Cruise, probably wasn't real.

I was wrong. Those pesky baby blues hit me like a ton of bricks. I cried for 2 days straight, got unbelievably anxious about everything (and getting stressed about nursing doesn't help you work through your problems with it!), and barely made it through.

Thanks to the constant support of my mother and Andrew, everyone made it through those few days, and while nursing is still a challenge, I no longer cry at the thought of it.

So people - the baby blues are very real. And they can knock you out

No comments: