Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Am I grown up?

I've been exchanging messages with an old friend from childhood. She mentioned how I was all grown up, but she isn't (we are a year apart). Am I grown up? I don't feel like I am.

Yes, I'm married, almost done with grad school, worry about the state of my retirement accounts, pay a mortgage every month, and I'm going to have a baby. But really, does that make me grown up? Any 14 year old can have a baby (Ask Jamie Lynn Spears...). Anyone with enough cash can pay a mortgage. Why does that make me grown up? I have the maturity of a 12 year old. I have the attention span of a cocker spaniel. That would indicate I'm not really grown up. I'm beyond excited that Rudolph is on tomorrow night. Just like when I was 7.

So I don't think I'm grown up. I think that my life may seem a little more put together than some other people's lives seem, but that's just because I've done what you are "supposed" to do. You are "supposed" to get older, go to college, get a job, settle down and get married, and have a child. I threw in grad school just so I could perfect the yuppie image I seem to have going. But that doesn't make me more grown up than someone else who decided to throw that traditional plan out the window and go to grad school for 10 years or travel the world or swear not to get married until age 35. Maybe I'm traditional, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm not grown up.

Swearsies.

No comments: