Monday, January 28, 2013

big doings

After hearing about the fabulousness of spaghetti squash for a long time and having tried it a few times, I finally bought one.  

Well before I got to the purchasing step I had to figure out what they looked like so I could find it at the store.   They are right next to butternut squash.  WHO KNEW ALL THE SQUASH WAS TOGETHER? So I have a butternut squash (because I couldn't resist it) and a spaghetti squash ready to go.

In case anyone else is as ignorant as I am when it comes to spaghetti squash,  this is what it looks like:

(image comes from this blog, which is also the recipe I will be following tonight)

Kind of looks like a summer squash (or yellow zucchini, however you roll) on steroids.  But feels more like a butternut squash. 

Never say this blog isn't full of riveting information.

Anyway, back to the point.  Tonight I will be cooking spaghetti squash for the first time.   I really hope its good, because we will most likely be eating it for the next few nights.  I may have bought one that could easily feed a family of 8 and we are only a family of 3.5 and Baby Girl will eat approximately 2 bites.

It wasn't until I was married that I learned that I liked vegetables.   My entire life I thought I wasn't a veggie fan until I realized that it wasn't the vegetable that I didn't like, but the way my mother cooked them.  She and I have a difference of opinion as to whether or not canned French cut green beans are one step above torture.  Canned vegetables are NEVER OKAY.  NEVER.   Fresh or frozen.  That's the only acceptable method of buying/purchasing/eating vegetables.   She also cooks the hell out of her vegetables - as in boils them until all color/taste/nutritional benefits are long gone.   Gag.   Vomit.  

I'll usually roast my veggies so they still have flavor.  And crispness.  And nutrition in them.  Sometimes I will steam broccoli or asparagus,  but it's not my preferred method.   Actually I love my broccoli blanched and then sauteed but that's a lot of work and sometimes it's just easier to steam them.  I still make gagging noises while I eat it even though I'm the one that made it.   It doesn't annoy Andrew at all.  Really. 

It took me probably 27 years to learn it,  but I do like vegetables.   Oh, I still prefer them raw dipped in copious amounts of ranch dressing - but I'm willing to eat a cooked one now and then as long as my mother hasn't been in the kitchen.

I will say vegetables aside, my mother is a good cook.  She cooks her vegetables the way she likes to eat them.  It's just that she just likes vegetables that taste disgusting.  Who knows, maybe in 25 years my kids will lament about how they never got canned vegetables growing up.

I highly doubt it.




No comments: