Saturday, April 23, 2011

Well...

I completely gave up on Netflix tonight; it's been established it has nothing to offer. While running around like maniacs at Shaws with a very sick baby girl (in our defense, we truly thought she was doing better. She doesn't make it easy to tell when she's sick!) trying to pick up what we needed, I wandered over to the Red Box and rented the first movie that A) I recognized the title, and B) I had a minor interest in: Country Strong.

Some of you may (or may not) know that I am a big fan of country music. And not just the pop Taylor Swift/ Carrie Underwood pop/country songs that are so en vogue right now. I really enjoy the twangy, straight from Nashville country music. When I was a freshman in college an acquaintance put Kenny's "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" on my computer (and yes, chances are it was stolen on Napster - what did you expect, I went to college in the fall of 1999!) and I never looked back.

Also, did you know tonight is Game 5 of the 1st round of playoffs in which the Broonz are facing off against the Canadiens?

So the scene has been set: I have a movie that I want to watch and that Andrew most likely has no interest. I want the B's to win it all, but I don't want to watch the game. Therefore and henceforth, I watch a movie on the laptop and Andrew paces and watches the game.

Wow.




Wow.




That movie is not what I expected. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't that movie. Clearly I'm not that talented of a writer that I can explain how good the movie is without giving anything away, but I really really really liked it. It had about 17 more layers to it than I thought it would - and to be honest, I didn't think it would be that good. It was one of those movies that I don't think I would have understood even 5 years ago. You need to have lived a little to get it - not a whole lot, but enough to understand that love isn't doesn't always resemble a romantic comedy, and tragedy doesn't always resemble Romeo and Juliet.

Go out and watch it. Get it from Red Box, because God knows it's not on Netflix. And remember, I am a big country fan... I honestly don't think that would make a difference, but they do sing their fair share of country songs in the movie. If this was set among a death metal background, I can't say for sure that I would have enjoyed it as much.

And on a non-movie note - think good thoughts for my baby girl; she's really not feeling well these days.

No comments: