Sunday, December 06, 2009

snowy Sunday and turkey chili

Last night was the first significant snowfall of the season. We got a few inches, just enough to make the world look like a Winter Wonderland. And I made my turkey chili today, so it's officially winter. I make a really good turkey chili - it's a Weight Watchers recipe, but you wouldn't know it. It has a lot of flavor and you can easily add or subtract ingredients so anyone will like it. We don't add the chili flakes, and we put 3 times as much garlic as it needs. Yummy. Here it is - I'm telling you, it's easy to make, it makes at least 6 servings so it's great for leftovers and lunch, and it's a guaranteed crowd please. You'll thank me.

1tsp canola oil
1 large onion (chopped)
2 medium garlic cloves, minced (I buy jars of pre-minced garlic. It's worth it)
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced into rounds
1 pound lean ground turkey
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground red pepper flakes (I leave this one out, and add more garlic instead)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1 cup fat free chicken broth (okay, I will admit it. I don't use fat free)
1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I just use the whole can, I don't know it that's 1.5 cups or not)
1 medium bell pepper, chopped)
1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste

heat a lard pot coated with cooking spray, over medium heat. Add oil and onion; saute onion until soft. Add garlic and carrots and cook until garlic is softened. Add ground turkey and brown meat, about 5 minutes. Stir to break up lumps.

Add chili powder, paprika, cumin, and red pepper flakes, tomatoes and tomato sauce, broth and vinegar. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, 30 to 45 minutes.

Add beans and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, until peppers are done, about 10 minutes. Season to taste. Yields about 1 cup per serving

I'm not currently following weight watchers, but if you are, this is a Core recipe, or 4 Points per serving.

No comments: