Thursday, December 20, 2007

do you ever root for the bad guy?

I have to admit, sometimes I do. Especially if the bad guy is handsome. Whatever, I'm just sayin'.

Anyway, due to a comment I left here yesterday, I'd been humming the Phantom of the Opera score in my head all day. So last night on my way home I pulled it out. And I really feel bad for the Phantom after he's managed to kidnap Christine from the performance of Don Juan Triumphant and is essentially begging her to stay with him.

Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime
Lead me, save me from my solitude
(He takes from his finger a ring and holds it out to her. Slowly she takes it and puts it on her finger.)
Say you want me with you, here beside you
Anywhere you go let me go too
Christine that's all I ask of . . .

He's just tired of being alone... he points out in the next song,

Hounded out by everyone!
Met with hatred everywhere!
No kind word from anyone!
No compassion anywhere!
Christine, Christine . . .Why, why . .

Really, all he ever did was fall in love with a girl and want to be with her. So what if he's already killed two innocent men. So what if the years of solitude have made him crazy and he has dolls of Christine. So what if he'd never let her go again... he just wants her to love him!

Yeah, I know, I'm crazy. I'm probably the only person who actually roots for the Phanton at this point in the show, but I do. And you know what, I'm right. In the end, after Christine chooses him to save Raoul - the Phantom lets her go. Why? Because he loves her. He's a good guy after all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Remember when we went to see Phantom? that was fun.