Thursday, December 13, 2007

10.8 miles

Just 10.8 miles from where I work to where I live. It can take as little as 15 minutes without traffic (as most of those miles are highway) to about 35 with traffic. But any more than 35 minutes to get home is extremely rare and means a LOT of traffic.

Today? How long did it take me to go those 10.8 miles today?

three and a half hours. 210 minutes.


Yes. It took me three and a half hours to get home, thanks to this hellish storm. I actually have an appreciation of the blizzard of 78, because I seriously debated leaving my car at a dunkin donuts about 3 miles away from my house and walking. I'm still wondering if it would have been faster to do so.

At hour one I thought "yeah, this is about normal for a really bad snow storm".

At hour two I thought "Oh my god I want to go home"

At hour three I was crying. Big huge alligator tears.

At hour three and fifteen minutes I got into an all out fight with a car who tried to cut me off. He swore at me and I reminded him to mind his manners. Thank god I was in Canton.,, I probably would have been shot if I had been in other places. I mean, I rolled down my window and got into a screaming match with a douchebag who actually thought he could cut off traffic. "I HAVE BEEN IN THIS CAR FOR THREE HOURS AND YOU THINK YOU CAN CUT ME OFF????" came out of my mouth. he yelled back something nasty and I said "DID YOU JUST SWEAR AT ME??? WHERE ARE YOUR MANNERS???" Because mine were present and accounted for as I was screaming bloody murder out of my car window. But come on. Who do you think you are, cutting off a line of traffic in that hellish commute? People were calling into the radio talking about how they had been in their cars for hours. And this douche thinks he can zip up the breakdown lane and someone will let him in? Ummmm.... in his words, go fuck yourself.

At hour three and 20 minutes I made the best decision of my life and went home some backroads that hadn't been plowed. It was a huge gamble because there was a foot of snow on the ground and the streets had not been plowed, but I guess the Almighty had pity on me, because at hour three and thirty minutes I pulled into my driveway.

Thank god for cranberry martini mix.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheers to that, I had a four hour commute yesterday that was horrendous.

Bree said...

maybe i should reconsider my trip home and stay in the comfy confines of our 55 degree weather.